The Fruits: Goodness
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.
Galatians 5:22
Goodness can present itself in many forms. The dictionary defines it as "the state of quality of being good; moral excellence". I'm sure that when you think of the word "good" something comes to mind. But for me, someone comes to mind.
I first met Bryan Painter a little over a year ago. I had just started a job at school with the Marketing & Communications department. I didn't really know what my job description was, and I really didn't know my coworkers. I was the youngest person in my department--which made sense since my job was mostly social media--but I quickly found out that my age had nothing to do with how well I would fit in.
For the first semester, I worked in a white house on campus, where my desk was literally in the hallway. If someone in the office needed something, you were close enough to just speak at a raised volume and the other person could hear you clear-as-day. Almost every day, Bryan would invite me into his office and would offer a mint or a piece of gum. We quickly got to know each other, and the thing that stuck out to me about Bryan was how he didn't let his job affect his personal relationship with others.
Bryan is a journalist, which mean he's written everything from obituaries to articles on Reba McEntire. Most of his job requires him to talk to people going through difficult situations. He covered the OKC Bombing, the tornado that damaged OBU, and many other hard times.
I remember Bryan telling me about the time he was writing about someone who had passed away. He had to go visit the family, and understandably, it was difficult for them to talk about. But Bryan assured them that he didn't want an overview of his life, but of who he really was. He got to know the family, and tried to make his visit a little more bearable. In that moment, Bryan could have bypassed the feelings of the family--but instead, he chose to lean into that.
And that aspect is what makes Bryan so dear to me. I am constantly amazed by his kindness and goodness, and he truly inspires me to be a better person. Bryan doesn't let his job get in the way of first seeing someone as a person and connecting with them on that level.
When I first decided I wanted to interview for an RA position, the thing I was most hesitant about was not being able to see Bryan every day. Sometimes I would just go sit in his office and we would talk to each other. We were able to see each other as people, and meet each other where we are. We were both able to offer prayers during difficult situations, and often times just be an ear to listen to.
This series has helped me reflect on the people the Lord has placed in my life, and the intentionality around each person. I am so thankful for my community, and I highly encourage you to look at the people around you as well. I hope and pray that everyone has a Bryan of their own.
Comments
Post a Comment